Eating right is one of the most important aspects of keeping fit and most of all healthy. Some women dread the word “food” when it comes to weight loss talks. The truth is you can turn eating to your advantage in order to trim down excess fats. Here are some weight loss hacks that are proven to help shed some pounds:
ALSO READ: A balanced vegetarian diet for good health
1. Trick your brain First of all, you have to realize that your stomach works under the brain’s cue. When your stomach is empty, it sends a signal to the brain that tells you it’s time to eat. On the other hand, the stomach signals the brain that it doesn’t need food when it’s full. This is our body’s way of surviving. The good news is you can trick this process. By constantly filling your stomach with low-calorie but filling food (or even fluids), you are tricking your stomach to stop sending a signal to your brain that you need to eat. The key is keeping your stomach busy all the time.
2. Pack your diet with fiber This second tip is somewhat related to the first tip. Fiber is more difficult to digest, making it last longer in the digestive tract. In result, your stomach is filled for a longer period. Opt for whole grains and whole wheat. This type of starch went through a fewer process of refinement, leaving more of its fiber intact. This is opposed to white starch that is almost completely rode of fibers, making it easier to digest. In return, you feel hungry faster. Another advantage in eating fiber rich food is that it requires more effort for the body to digest it. More effort is equal to more calories burnt to digest an already low-calorie food. Every time you eat a fiber-rich food, you are like having an internal workout. A win-win situation for you!
3. Substitute Do an inventory of what you usually eat. Keeping a food diary would be helpful in keeping track of what you eat. Next step is to analyze which food items benefit your weight loss journey the least. Do you eat white starches than brown? Is your diet filled with empty-calorie food? Once you establish your eating pattern, it is time for the fun part: finding substitutes. Replace white with whole wheat. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Substitute unhealthy snacks with lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. A great way of introducing more fiber into your diet is drinking weight loss shakes. You can fashion your weight loss shakes according to your liking. This will contain a mixture high fiber and healthy foods (celery, oats, orange, apple, etc.) that will help you feel full for a longer period. This will also help you think less about eating junk. Of course, still be mindful of your portion sizes. Fruits and vegetables also contain calories.
4. Savor your food Take your time when eating. This gives your stomach more time to send the signal to your brain that you are eating and filling your stomach. Eating fast do the otherwise, making you eat more than your body needs. Eating slowly helps you appreciate your food more, making you feel more satisfied as opposed to just moving down your food. Savoring your food, enjoying every single bite, and enjoying your company (if you have one) is not only beneficial for weight loss purposes but to overall health also try to include anti-inflammatory foods in your diet.
5. Drink water Last but not the least, drink water! Water is your best friend in losing weight. First of all, water is calorie free and helps in hydrating your body. Drink before eating, while eating, and after eating. This helps you fell satisfied faster. It also helps cut cravings. More often than not, cravings are caused by dehydration that your body interprets as craving. Try drinking a good size glass of cold water when you are craving for sweets; you might be surprised! Some people, for some odd reasons, can’t stand the taste of water (although it is tasteless). If you are one of these people, try adding flavor to your water. There are commercial water flavorings out in the market, but it is best to keep it natural. Using lemon or frozen fruits, like strawberries and raspberries add flavor to your drinking water without the added chemicals. There are water bottles with built in infusers which make it easier to add natural flavors to your drinking water.
There you have it, 5 eating tips that will help you burn more calories. The most important factor in effectively losing weight is discipline and motivation. In fact, it is the most important ingredient to pretty much everything in life! These 2 things are your most valuable tool in your weight loss journey. These tips may sound ordinary, but they are tried and tested tips that most of us forget. Make eating work for you and help you attain your goal of having the body that you want.
Margaux Diaz is Health and Fitness Expert. She has completed her Master’s Degrees in Biotechnology from the university of Southern California. She is an inspirational writer who firmly believes in the power of self-motivation. She is a contributor to Consumer Health Digest since Five years. To get more tips regarding health and fitness connect with her on Facebook
Leave a Comment