It’s not always easy to know when to consider a fertility tests for males. For some people, the time may come after months of unsuccessfully trying to conceive. For others, it might be sooner – especially if there are other signs that something may be wrong. Here are four times when it might be a good idea to get tested for infertility.
Signs that you need to take a fertility test
If you have been trying to conceive for over a year with no success, it may be time to consider a fertility test. Other indications that you should speak with your doctor about fertility testing include the following:
- If you’re over 35
- You have irregular or no menstrual cycles.
- You have a history of pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, or other conditions that can affect fertility.
- You or your partner has a known medical condition that can affect fertility.
- You have had multiple miscarriages.
Your doctor will likely start by doing a physical exam and ordering some blood tests. If these tests don’t reveal any issues, your doctor might recommend other specialised tests. These could include hysterosalpingography (HSG) or laparoscopy.
HSG is an X-ray procedure that looks at the inside of your uterus and Fallopian tubes to see if they are blocked or damaged. Laparoscopy is a surgery that allows your doctor to look directly at your reproductive organs.
Both of these procedures can be used to diagnose conditions that can cause infertility, such as endometriosis or uterine fibroids. If no cause for infertility is found, it may be due to unexplained infertility, which affects up to 20% of couples trying to conceive.
Tips That Will Help You Boost Your Chances of Getting Pregnant
If you’re trying to get pregnant, there are several things you can do to improve your chances:
1. Have sex regularly. The more sexual intercourse you have, the greater your chances of getting pregnant.
2. Time sex around ovulation. You’re most likely to get pregnant if you have sex during the few days before and the day of ovulation (when an egg is released from the ovary).
3. Use lubrication. Using a lubricant can help increase your chances of getting pregnant by making sex more comfortable and enjoyable.
4. Quit smoking. Smoking decreases fertility in both men and women, so quitting is one of the best things you can do to improve your chances of getting pregnant.
5. Get to a healthy weight. Being overweight or obese can decrease fertility, so try to reach a healthy weight if you’re carrying extra pounds.
6. Reduce stress. Stress can affect fertility, so try to find ways to relax and manage stress levels.
7. Eat healthy foods. A nutritious diet is important for both men and women when trying to conceive. You can eat the healthy foods for the uterus and ovaries.
8. Get regular exercise. Exercise can help improve fertility, so aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week.
9. Take supplements. Certain supplements, such as folic acid, can help improve fertility.
10. See your doctor regularly. Getting regular checkups and seeing your doctor if you have any concerns can help you maintain your overall health and improve your
The best time to take a fertility test is when you’re trying to conceive. If you have been having unprotected sex for more than a year without success, it might be time to see your doctor about taking a fertility test.
Fertility tests can help identify problems in both men and women that may be preventing them from conceiving. If there are any issues identified, your doctor can recommend treatments that will increase your chances of becoming pregnant.