Several states in the United States have approved medical marijuana in certain forms, and more are considering legislation to do the same. This recreational medicine’s rising popularity is not surprising, especially since it comes with many beneficial properties such as it can help treat two rare and severe cases of epilepsy, Dravet syndrome, and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
What is medical marijuana?
Medical marijuana, or also known as medical cannabis, is derived from the Cannabis indica plant. It is a medication that can be applied to help alleviate pain or to help cure illnesses and diseases. The Cannabis plant has also been used extensively for decades throughout the world until the early 1900s.
The Main Components of Medical Marijuana
Two main components make medical marijuana convenient for use. These are the THC and CBD. THC or tetrahydrocannabinol is a psychoactive component that is responsible for making people feel “high.” CBD or cannabidiol, on the other hand, is a chemical compound that induces relaxation and calm. As opposed to THC, it does not have psychoactive properties.
A wide range of THC and CBD concentrations are available for medical marijuana products. Expert opinion suggests that 10 mg THC should be deemed as “one serving” and that a patient new to medicinal marijuana should inhale or drink no more until they know their personal reaction.
The Medical Uses of Marijuana
There are a lot of benefits to this recreational drug. They include both studied and licensed applications and off label applications. Moreover, some of the common reasons why people use it are because:
- It helps alleviate pain. Medical marijuana has analgesic effects that bind the pain receptors.
- It reduces nausea and stimulates the appetite.
- It is also known for relieving arthritis because, as mentioned, consuming this drug will help in alleviating pain, be it from arthritis and other joint pain.
- It is also known for slowing and preventing the growth of cancer cells and even preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
- It is known for controlling epileptic seizures because, as also previously mentioned, it can treat two rare and severe cases of epilepsy.
- It can help with treating mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety. This recreational drug helps induce the release of happy hormones, also called dopamine and serotonin. That is why some people like the feeling of being high because the drug triggers these hormones.
How are you going to take medical marijuana?
It depends on your preference. It can be taken by smoking it or making use of a vaporizer, a device that converts it into a mist so you can inhale it. Other methods include applying it to the skin through lotions or oil, and eating it is the best method for most people. A brownie is what is commonly made containing the recreational drug.
Every method affects the body differently. You will notice the impact very quickly when you smoke or spray it, for instance. While if you eat it, the effects will take a lot longer to happen. It can be between 1 to 2 hours.
Where can you get medical marijuana?
To get medicinal marijuana, you need to have a written prescription from a licensed doctor in countries where it is legal, since not every doctor is willing to prescribe it to their patients. You might also need to have a medical condition that is eligible for medical marijuana use. You should keep in mind that each state/country has its own list of eligibility criteria. For example, some states may require you to get a medical marijuana ID card before using the medicine. Once you also get your ID, you can purchase it from a store called a dispensary.
One of the few known dispensaries selling recreational and medical marijuana products you can try is Area52. They have the largest selection of cannabis strains, edibles, concentrates, vaporizers, topicals, pills, drinks, and tinctures. Boosting the lives of their consumers through the safe use of cannabis is their number one priority. They are continually striving to have goods manufactured with the utmost care to ensure the highest quality, accuracy, and purity for their clients.
- 7 Main Medical Benefits of Marijuana
- 7 Benefits of Going for Marijuana Addiction Treatment
- Marijuana Allergy: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- 9 Surprising Things to Know about Marijuana
Leave a Comment