A heart attack happens due to obstruction of blood flow to the heart. This obstruction is caused by a plaque made up of cholesterol, fat, and many other substances. This plaque is formed in the arteries that are responsible for feeding the coronary arteries or heart. Over time, this plaque starts taking the shape of clots and starts interrupting the regular blood flow to the heart.
The persistent condition starts damaging the heart muscles. Myocardial infarction is an emergency condition, but advanced treatment options have improved the situation dramatically over the past few years. If you are a heart patient, you should be well-informed about the symptoms and causes of this deadly disease. Keep your emergency contacts ready in case you start feeling any unusual symptoms already.
What are the Symptoms of a Heart Attack?
Here are some common signs and symptoms of a heart attack:
- Cold sweat
- Sudden dizziness or light-headedness
- Pain, pressure, tightness or aching or squeezing sensation in your arms or chest that is spreading to your back, neck, or jaw
- Abdominal pain, heartburn, nausea, and indigestion
What are the significant causes of Heart Attack?
Here are the major reasons for heart attack:
- Age – Men in the age group of 45-55 years or above are more vulnerable to a heart attack as compared to the younger ones.
- High Blood Pressure – Do you know that high blood pressure can potentially damage arteries that take care of your heart? Obesity, diabetes, and high cholesterol give rise to high blood pressure.
- Tobacco – If you are into tobacco consumption and smoking, you are making yourself vulnerable to this disease. Nicotine is the primary cause of plaque formation that restricts the blood flow in the heart.
- Obesity – Obesity is one of the significant reasons for a heart attack. Because obesity is the root cause of diseases like high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes
- Stress – Constant stressful situations can give rise to heart-related diseases. Many people turn to alcoholism as a result of this. It is one of the significant causes of a heart attack.
- Drugs – Excess usage of drugs like cocaine and amphetamines can activate the spasm of coronary arteries, which can give rise to a heart attack.
- Diabetes – Not creating enough insulin can shoot up the blood sugar levels in the body. This condition multiplies your chances of suffering from a heart attack.
- Family History – If you have a family history of heart attack, it is possible that the next generations also suffer from this condition. People of older age are at higher risk.
- Inactive Lifestyle – Inactive lifestyle will give rise to obesity and other health conditions, thus making one vulnerable to a heart attack.
- Metabolic Syndrome – People who develop metabolic syndrome are twice at risk of having a heart attack in the future.
- An Autoimmune Condition – Conditions like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis can multiply your risk of having a heart attack in the future.
- Unhealthy Diet – Excess consumption of unhealthy food, junk food, and unprocessed food items can make you prone to a heart attack.
- Social Isolation – People who are suffering from social isolation are more prone to face a heart attack in the future.
- Depression – Depression is also a significant cause of heart attack in the world. Depression is a state where a person starts detaching himself or herself from society and ultimately suffers severe medical repercussions.
It is important to visit a cardiologist regularly if you have any of these risks that can lead to a heart attack. If you stay in Georgia, you can visit CardioVascular Group, as they offer cardiac testing, studies and procedures. A heart doctor Buford will assist you to prevent heart diseases.
How can you avoid a Heart Attack?
Are there any ways to prevent a heart attack? Keep reading on to know more about it!
- Lead a stress-free and healthy lifestyle, including exercising, yoga, and meditation.
- Quit smoking and drinking immediately to avoid any possible risk of a heart attack.
- Maintain a healthy weight and eliminate any chance of getting overweight.
- Stay positive and maintain a healthy social life. Keep meeting and interacting with new people to have a positive outlook in the future.
- Avoid taking any medications without consulting the doctors.
- Make sure you control your blood pressure, cholesterol, and sugar levels.
- You can successfully avoid a heart attack by staying alert towards your body changes.
- Make sure you don’t take the signs mentioned above and symptoms lightly.
A heart attack is a serious medical condition. If left unattended, it can even lead to death. One golden rule to prevent any unfortunate incident is, “when in doubt, connect with the doctor immediately.” Life doesn’t stop after a heart attack. You can still conquer your life with a healthy lifestyle. Good Luck!
Leave a Comment